Tax and Revenue
Our tax practice is preeminent in the country. Our tax practice is headed by tax lecturers who are frequently invited to train lawyers, accountants and other professional organisations on tax matters.
We advise on alI aspects of income tax, value added tax, customs and excise, stamp duty and all government levies.
Our lawyers are at the forefront of shaping tax policy and tax jurisprudence in the country. representing local and international businesses in complex high-profile disputes and transactions.
We offer dispute resolution tax services, including litigation in courts and the tax appeals tribunal, administrative engagement with the Uganda Revenue Authority and lobbying with the Ministry of Finance.
We also offer planning and advisory services on a range of tax matters, including:
- International taxation: cross-border M&A transactions, thin-capitalisation and cross border financing issues, transfer pricing, branch taxation, and treaty structuring, etc.
- Business income taxation: corporation tax and partnership tax issues
- Capital gains tax
- Taxation of financial institutions, insurance companies and telecommunications
- Taxation of mining companies
- Taxation of petroleum operations
- Withholding tax on domestic and international payments
- Tax compliance: tax health-check audits, tax computations, returns, objections and appeals
- VAT: returns, apportionment and adjustment, objections, appeals and litigation
- Customs law, procedures, classification and valuation
- Tax litigation at all levels
- Drafting tax legislation for Governments
- Advisory and support to Governments on creation of independent revenue authorities
- Excise duty and duty drawback
- Lobbying and negotiating fiscal regimes for large-scale investment projects